Sex and the City 2 Party: Abu Dhabi Style
By Jeanne Benedict
SATC 2! Decadence in the Desert!
- A souk is an open-air Arabic market and more importantly, where Carrie and Aidan (her “what if” guy) meet up by pure coincidence in Abu Dhabi.
- Deck out your own souk as an entrance to the party. Hang lanterns, baskets, and colorful lengths of fabric criss-crossing overhead for a fab flea market feel to get all in the mood.
Scraves and Sparkle Under Canopies
- Purchase or rent white canopies for guests to dine under or as a covering for the food table. I usually go with the E-Z Up brand for events as the height is adjustable and they are simple to set up.
- Drape long scarves or lengths of fabric from the top corners of the canopy down to the ground.
- Dangle strands of crystals from the edge of the canopy and its center if there is an inner-structure where you can hang them securely.
Set a fashion-sexy mood with lots of candles and decorate your table with a batch of bright pink peonies picked up from your local market. Cut the stems short to let the blousy blooms show off. With blossoms this beautiful, any low vase is a fashion do.
The girls head to Morocco in this sequel, so set out a tableful of light bites, such as olives, dates, assorted cheeses and nuts arranged in small bowls. You can also add rice pilaf or couscous with saffron, chicken, beef or lamb kebobs. True foodies, now’s the time to dig out your tangine. I’m happy to just cocktail!
Download the Sex and the City 2 movie soundtrack, sure to get everyone in a flirty mood. I can’t stop playing Alicia Key’s Empire State of Mind and Cee-lo‘s Language of Love. Then, dish about old loves, new ones, and the ones that got away. Most importantly, wear something stunning — shoes to die for, and your favorite dress and accessories. For help here, I always click to see what my fashionista friends are dishing about, Rachel Zoe or Kayln Johnson give a girl a closet full of ideas. Currently I am rocking the wrap dress in white ( thank you DVF), strappy heels and gold aviator glasses, I say, take some liberties, have some fun, and channel your inner Carrie.
With coveted movie tickets in hand, take the party on the road. Dressed to the nines, you and your girlfriends will revel in the spotlight. Carrie & Co. would be proud!
Floor Pillows and Low Dining Table Trays
- Use floor pillows for guests to sit on while dining at low tables.
- To make a low table, place sturdy plastic milk crates on the ground and cover them with fabric or scarves.
- Set a large round tray on top or a wood circle, available at many home improvement stores for standard tabletops.
Couture Champagne Cocktails
The LVMH brand is sponsoring “Sex and the City 2” screenings in 10 to 12 cities around the country and certain venues will be serving up these signature cocktails. Here’s my version of how to make them for your party.Carrie – The Fashionista
- Fill a flute 3/4 of the way with Moet & Chandon Champagne, add a splash of pomegranate juice, and garnish with an organic rose petal; a symbol of Carrie’s romantic side.
Samantha – The Player
- Fill a flute 3/4 of the way with Moet & Chandon Champagne, add a lemon twist, and a sprinkling of minced candied ginger to spice it up Samantha-style.
Charlotte – The Socialite
- Fill a flute 3/4 of the way with Moet & Chandon Champagne, add a splash of elderflower liqueur, and drop in a brown sugar cube for an elegant Charlotte touch.
Miranda – The Bombshell
- Fill a flute 3/4 of the way with Moet & Chandon Champagne, add a splash of fresh tangerine juice and drop a Maraschino cherry in it to give it the bold yet sweet character of Miranda.
Cocktails and photos courtesy of Moet & Chandon, a Sex and the City 2 movie partner.
For more delicously themed SATC cocktails, try:
These stunning champagne cocktails are the perfect pour — colorful, tasty, and stylish party starters. Take two and don’t call him in the morning!
2 ounces passion-fruit nectar
2 ounces pineapple juice
1 bottle Brut champagne, chilled
Strawberries for garnish
Combine the chilled juices in a cocktail shaker or small pitcher. Pour juices in champagne flutes to cover the bottom third of each glass. Top with champagne, garnish with berry and serve.